A nonprofit organization’s health is multi-faceted. Long-lasting relationships with audiences require an organization to have a clear sense of identity, effective and dynamic direction, strong staff and leadership, and current knowledge. My services are designed to help clients with any one piece of the puzzle or a combination of components that will help them move forward from today’s reality to the future they envision for their work.
Developing vibrant and lasting relationships between audiences, art, and arts organizations is at the heart of my work and at the core of my commitment to helping the nonprofit arts sector thrive. I combine up-to-date research with real-world experience to assist clients in developing the tools and strategies they need to succeed.
- Audience Development Strategy
- Organizational Identity Development
- Goal-Setting and Planning
STRATEGIC AND OPERATIONAL PLANNING
I bring more than a decade of experience in the trenches to strategic and operational planning. Clients leave the room ready to move ahead with a plan that is workable and flexible while providing a clear way forward.
- Mission and Vision Development or Re-articulation
- Organization-wide Strategic Planning
- Departmental Planning
- Staff or Board Operational Planning
Team Building and Leadership Development
Our creative pursuits flourish when our leaders and teams are functioning at top capacity. I work with individuals, staff members, boards, or units to help them learn about themselves and others and put that knowledge into practice to create healthy, vibrant, high-functioning workplaces.
- Staff and/or Board Retreat or Meeting Facilitation
- Individual Coaching for Emerging Leaders
- Myers-Briggs® Assessment and Interpretation for Individuals or Groups
- Workshops Addressing Stress Management, Leadership Styles, Decision-Making, or other specific areas of concern
Marketing STRATEGY & IMPLEMENTATION
Being a nonprofit arts organization in today’s environment often means working with limited staff resources. Sometimes we just need an extra set of hands or an outside eye to get the job done. In addition to a menu of consulting services, I also assist clients by providing the following products:
- Marketing Audits
- Copywriting for Brochures and other Marketing Materials
- Press Releases
- Original Reports Documenting Current Trends, Best Practices, or New Research
TEACHING AND SPEAKING
Working at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, I draw from research, theory, and practice to create courses that are hands-on, engaging, and rich learning experiences. I develop each course to meet the needs and expertise of the students. My classes have included:
- Fundamentals of Arts Administration
- Audience Development
- Grant Writing for the Arts
- Leadership for Nonprofit Organizations
- Riotous Art: Culture, Politics and Controversy
- Basic Acting
I make presentations on audience development as well as other topics relevant to arts administration as a guest speaker in courses and at conferences nationwide. My focus is on helping practitioners put emerging research to work to improve their success in real-world arts environments.
My recent engagements have included:
- "Interested Non-Attendees and the Barriers Keeping Them Away," Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation Art of Change, November 2015
- “Research Round-up: 5 Fresh Ideas in 90 Minutes,” Americans for the Arts Annual Convention, June 2015
- Guest speaker, Davidson College Arts Administration Seminar, March 2015
- “Creating Identity, Creating Community: Using Technology to Build Vital Organization-Based Audience Communities for the Performing Arts,” International Conference on Social Theory, Politics, and the Arts, Fall 2013
- “How to Create Communities: 4 Keys to Developing Loyal and Engaged Audiences” with Erika Nelson of Steppenwolf Theatre, National Arts Marketing Project Conference, Fall 2013